Sunday 20 November 2011

How to Earn/Save Money Online in Singapore Series - #3 Doing reviews

This post is somewhat related to my earlier post on buying and selling books for my reading habits.

I find that a good way to remember the content of what I have read, as well as capture my thoughts on the book at the point in time, is to write a review. I started off writing my reviews using the Virtual Bookshelf application on Facebook. Unfortunately, the application was stopped some time earlier this year as the developers had decided to focus their attention on other initiatives.

Not willing to stop what I think is a good practice, after googling online, I came across the site GoodReads.  Basically, once you have signed up for an account (membership is free), you can write a review for the book, give it a rating, read other people's reviews, find similar books, and see what others are reading.

It is during one of my searches for a book that I came across the following website Fishpond. It is more than a website for books, as it sells music, toys, lifestyle items etc as well. What attracted me to this website was, besides offering books at a discounted price and having free shipping worldwide, it offers a cash reward in the form of credits which you can use to offset your purchases from the website.

One of the qualifying activity for the reward is to write a review for any product that is posted there. For example, you can write a review of a Lego toy that you have, or a boardgame that you have played before. To earn a reward ($0.20 per review), your review must be over 50 words. The review must be done on products which do not currently have a review, and must be your own creation.

Since I already have a habit of writing book reviews, I found it easy to continue this practice on the Fishpond website. Since I started a few weeks ago, I have written more than 10 reviews, and earned myself some credits which I can use for buying my next book. At $0.20 per review, it is not lucrative. However, I consider it an easy task, something I can complete in less than 5 minutes. Furthermore, as doing book reviews is something that I am already doing, to be able to get paid for it, I think it's not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment